Sunday, December 15, 2013

Plant Profile: Eleocharis Acicularus

Why I love this plant: The thin long grassy plant gives the tank a softer flowy look. The blades gently rock with the flow of the water. This plant is also fairly easy to take care of and can grow quickly. 

Eleocharis Acicularus is also commonly known as Dwarf Hairgrass and is very popular among the fresh water aquarium world. I was able to purchase the Eleocharis Acicularus at Tong's Tropical Fish in Fountain Valley, CA. 


The roots of the eleocharis form shoots and runners that it sends out to other areas of the tank. Because it forms runners, it can be used to create beautiful mats that cover the bottom of the tank.


Typically it is used as a foreground or midground plant, but since my tank is only 7.5 gallons, it does not make much sense to put all of the plants in the front. It will cover the view of all the other plants! It can grow to approximately 4 inches in height.

I decided to use the Hairgrass as a background for my tank instead. I like the idea that it can help to hide the back of the tank so you can't see the wall behind the tank. It makes the tank more GREEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment