Saturday, December 21, 2013

Hardscape: Manzanita Wood


Manzanita wood comes from trees found in the westcoast of North America. It grows as evergreen shrubs and is known for it's twisting branches and reddish coloring. It is frequently used as a centerpiece decoration for party events like weddings and banquets.

In my tank I have a beautiful piece of manzanita wood. I purchased the manzanita wood from a reptile store called Reptile Island in Stanton, CA. I cut the wood into 3 small pieces and left them to sit in a bucket of water for over a week.


After one week, the logs did not waterlog and they were giving off tannis. Tannis is a natural tan color that is produced by plants and is often used to "tan" animal hides and leather. Being impatient, I decided to boil the pieces of wood in a large pot over the stove to expedite the waterlogging and tannis removal process. It worked like a charm! Over the next few days, I repeatedly boiled the logs, and left them out to soak over night in a big bucket. By the end of the second week, the logs sunk, and most of the tannis was removed.

The water in my tank now does now show much sign of any tannis. Of the 3 pieces of wood I cut from the original branch, I chose the smaller piece to fit into the tank. I felt that the other pieces, although just as nice, were too thick for a small tank. The wood is a beautiful reddish color and is pretty damn gorgeous if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment