Saturday, January 18, 2014

What do you feed your shrimp?

It's always a great feeling when someone asks me: "What do you feed your shrimp?" and I reply with a simple: "I don't." The confusion and shock on their face makes me happy inside.

Part of what I wanted my tank to be was self sustaining. The substrate and light provides the plants with nutrients and energy to grow, and the shrimp live off of the algae that's bound to grow on the plants! Of course... in a closed environment like the tank, I do have to add some extra nutrients for the plants, but I add it to the water I use for water changes.

It is important, that even if you only have shrimp and plants, that you do regular water changes. A closed system will not be able to have pollutants wash downstream or be diluted by new water, unless more water is added!


However, if your substrate and filter are able to house enough good bacteria, the effects of nutrient pollution may lessen. I can sit here watching my shrimp and plants all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment